Thursday, December 31, 2009

The guys brawl!


Trivandrum express raucously halted at Lonavala. It was cold outside. A dozen pretty looking girls entered the coach and clamored around our berth. Raj had inspected the reservation list at Mumbai and notoriously smiling mentioned Anaya Pillai Age 19 Lonavala to Trivandrum.





I wondered which amongst the lot would make us lucky. Usually I find myself in company of noisy elderly people or kids. Travel appeared brighter this time. Meanwhile I graded the girls on their persona …looks…figure…! Raj too was busy in similar mental exercises. “All dogs think the same way” My friend Lax used to say.


The whistle blew! Girls cuddling among themselves till now hurried to the door …except one! I had rated her 12th. Plum in light blue jeans & loose kurta (long shirt) she was better than the company existing – a - just returned from Gulf –Murali dharan. At Mumbai CST sweating profusely he violently cramped his three XXXL suitcases below the lower births & changed into lungi. Lecherously he ogled the girls. Not all his fault ...after months he got a so close glimpse of women.


The other two keralites occupied in their conversation resembling Laurel & Hardy in black. Even the prattling girls didn’t perturb their tête-à-tête.


I knew it now why Raj won’t change his immaculate suit when I had changed to shorts & slippers. First impression they say goes a long way! Mindful of female presence he sat upright …usually otherwise he behaved normal. The train recovered its speed.


Amidst silence I gazed out of the window in the gloomy night. Except the trains reverberation everything was silent. I turned to Annaya seated left & broke the ice.


“What all are your hobbies, apart from getting bored.” 

She looked puzzled “What did you saaay …?”  She asked getting herself closer.

I repeated! She blaringly replied, “I am not getting bored, I thought someone would take the lead”.


Loosing inhibitions Raj asked her, “what’s yours name?” I replied for her, “Annaya” He himself had informed me.

Undaunted Raj went on, “Where are you coming from?” I interrupted, “Lonavala”

Next query was obvious to me,” Where are you going?”. “Trivandrum” I snooped while the lady stared at me.

Contrary to what I thought Raj was intelligent enough not to ask for age.

I couldn’t reply to the volley of questions thereafter.


She was cheery to talk “What do you do? Where did u study? How’s your job? What are your leisure pursuits? You like making friends??? Each interrogation was followed by a similar query by the lady. Raj almost mimicked the rejoinders.


I listened… Anaya was a sales manager Trivandrum region for Stayfree a new brand of women sanitary pads. She was on her way back from a company meeting and loved singing, jogging, cooking and dogs. Coincidently Raj seemed to love everything she loved.


Eavesdropping Murali with each sentence Aanya spoke got his face closer to her by quarter of an inch. Tobacco stained yellow teeth protruded out of mouth as he intervened, “ayyo  ….malyalee …..  ….malyalee …..ayyo” The girl apparently distorted by the disruption replied, “I am a malyalee but I lived in Bombay”


“ malyalee appou… … serra…ayya” the yellow teeth smidgen saliva with incomprehensible utterance.

She turned to chat but Murali won’t impede ranting. Raj infuriated.

I didn’t care who talked to whom & plugged my walkman earphone. Why bear crap when you can hear music!

Murali kept prattling “… pedu …nain ..unni …snaeh .innu….nidu….” with the lady over the dinner.


“The gulf return has occupied her berth & won’t let her talk” Raj said patting my shoulder while I was drowsing on top birth listening to Pankaj Udhas gazals. “Complain TTE” I mumbled.


“Spare your walkman for her?”Raj almost pleaded.  Aanya glanced with tender eyes. Women eyes are the most manipulative …impetuously I passing on the walkman to Raj & watched her plug the earphones. Pankaj Udhas I hoped would do better to her than the garbling gulf return. I reclined back to sleep.


Drifting to sleep I heard a thud and reluctantly hunched to look. My walkman was tossed on the floor. Raj was quick to indicate the Murali for the misdemeanor.


I blasted,” Everyone on their berth and lights out in five minutes” The gulf return was dumbfound with mouth wide open. Military POC (power of command) had instant effect. Aanya dutifully picked the walkman & returned it.


I was contemplating “…five minute diktat …if not abided??? Calling TTE was an easy option.


A lesson must be taught…one side punch & a hook up would suffice for the stumpy man.  I plotted my move. No straight punch on nose. Boxing training had disciplined me to get aggressive only by design.  I somehow speculated that the diligent lady could handle the guy herself but like a chic let the guys brawl. Light went out. I turned to check.


Murali had retreated to his berth and Aanya lazed on her berth while Raj in middle berth kept an eye on Murali. ‘A wannabe lover transpires as an over protective brother’ I deliberated! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers